cajun curse words

If you don't find what you're looking for in the list below, or if there's some sort of bug and it's not displaying cajun related words, please send me feedback using this page. Desses: desks Stop being coo-yon! These stories eventually made their way to Louisiana, where some changed the creatures name to rougarou. Axe: ask Ax: ask Bag daer: back there Bahbin: a pouting facial expression; e.g. Beware of sleeping in the moonlight. Si tu es d'humeur a, va te faire foutre. See thats the beautiful thing about creole, we dont care to teach the whole world our language. Msu Diable is very vain. Unlike in English, this is not an insult and is not used to call a man a coward. Louisiana Creole was heavily influenced by both the slaves brought over from Haiti and emigrating planters from the Lesser . The Scots-Irish portrayed the will-o-the-wisp as fairies or elves. AP/Doug Parker. There are plenty of names for crawfish, but Southerners prefer crawdad. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Dis: this Bahbin: a pouting facial expression; e.g. VidaLingua, study conducted by researchers at the University of Rochester. Thats like trying to update sumarian to fit todays butchering of the English language. Because most of these are pretty accurate. la connerie noun. Clowzet: closet Rahdoht: boring, never-ending conversation I don't want to talk to you. In French, it's used to call somebody an idiot. Fil (fee-lay) Ground sassafras leaves used to season, among other things, gumbo. Many believed if you didnt observe Lent either permanently or for 7 years straight, depending on the storyteller you would become a loup-garou. Cahbin: bathroom A term of endearment a parent or grandparent would call a small child, presumably Cajun in origin. Sociologists recognize two major categories of Cajuns; River (for andouille); and the Bayou (for boudin) ***, A fritter or strangely shaped doughnut without a hole, sprinkled with powdered sugar. As a result, many Acadians died of disease or were forced into hard labor. Down-the-bayou refers to any area here that is more south than where you are. Learn French + for free on your iPhone or iPad. Second, how exactly do you want to update a dieing language? The South is well-known for having a way with words. Conson: underwear They originated in the colony of Acadia in eastern Canada, in what is now the Maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edwards Island). Boudin (boo-dan) Hot, spicy pork mixed with onions, cooked rice, herbs, and stuffed in sausage casing. The only way to kill it is to drive a stake in its heart, made from a swamp gum tree. Boude: pout, be angry; e.g. And never, never, never, try to make bad gris-gris (a bad spell on somebody). Gumbo (gum-boe) A thick, robust roux-based soup sometimes thickened with okra or file. Vieux: an old man (bon a-pet-tite) Good appetite or Enjoy!. Courtbouillon (coo-boo-yon): A rich, spicy tomato-based soup or stew made with fish fillets, onions, and sometimes mixed vegetables. How was any other cultures ruined ? - French songs to learn the language The verb version of emmerder i.e. This word is built as the word 'ftard' which means someone who likes to party (fte in French). Cho! Traveling the Strange South Through Storytelling, Cherokee History and Culture in Appalachia, cultural traits can cross an ocean and transform, Haunted Pawleys Island and Georgetown, South Carolina, The Winecoff Hotel Fire in Atlanta, Georgia, Federal Writers Project in the American South. First off. I bought that book maybe 15 years ago, I love it. You can get the definition (s) of a word in the list below by tapping the question-mark icon next to it. And we also added some of the most common swear words from Quebec, Canada. Noonie: a babys pacifier Im kinda thinking your not really Cajun. These are phrases that i grew up with and many I still use. - Damnit! Here is a look at the top five common myths about Cajun French that will shock you. 8 - God Works in Mysterious Ways. Mastering swear words in French will help you to immerse yourself in French-speaking culture. You are a bunch of couyons if you think any of this mess is Cajun. We just worked hard. There are thousands of variations, such as shrimp or seafood gumbo, chicken or duck gumbo, okra and file gumbo. However, a very serious study conducted by researchers at the University of Rochester in the USA, found that intelligent people are more likely to swear. We can also translate Cajun French to and from over 150 other languages, including all the major languages of Europe, Asia, South America, the Middle East and many African languages, at affordable prices. Make Groceries = buy groceries : Im going to slap you Our language and accents in South Louisiana are as unique as it gets in any part of America. Cajun cuisine combines French, West African and Spanish influences. Boy, was I honte!. It's worth noting that 'pute' is stronger than 'putain'. Gree gree: A curse or spell put on someone (from the Hatian word gris gris) The Cajun French is a term used to identify the Colonial district and Louisiana Regional French area in southern parishes. go take ya bat (bath) in da batroom. Translation : Disgusting and smelly vagina. And its also the response Im well., Cher [sha]: A term of endearment usually used with women, similar to dear or sweetheart. Would you like another cup of coffee, cher?. The pere malfait crushes its victims to death with superhuman strength. Envie [ah(n)-vee] A longing or hunger to do or eat something. A List of French Curse Words for the Discerning Swearer merde putain fils de pute foutre baiser [a me] fait chier bordel salaud / salope encul [ferme] ta gueule More French swears merde If you go to France, then I'll bet you 10 euros that you hear merde ("shit") from someone in the first 24 hours. You might never hear them unless you spend some time in a French-speaking country or live with a French family. a c'est bon (Sa say boh (n)): That's good. Have you ever heard the words 'putain', 'merde', 'bordel' in France or 'tabarnak' in Quebec? Chichmich 2 yr. ago. With more than 400 festivals each year, this saying embraces the fun-loving nature of Louisiana. You may have eaten 'une saloperie' if you get sick from food. Weh: yes (from French oui) even more insulting. The loup-garou, or rougarou, is a Cajun werewolf. The meaning has changed over the years to mean boy.. Thus turning the loup-garou back into a human so it can tell the attacker its real identity. Cro-cros: big, clunky shoes Connasse 6. Cajun storytellers claim it is the offspring of swamp alligators and chimpanzees from a wrecked circus train. Peel at least 20 crawfish per minute, or cpm. : Where are you? The best revenge is to live a good, happy and long life. Pour around the house of the intended love. has something to do with cajun, then it's obviously a good idea to use concepts or words to do with cajun. The meaning of couillon is not cleaned up for the dictionary, it is just not insulting in CF. The top 4 are: creole, quebec, acadia and gumbo. It can mean either to 'have sex' or to 'swindle' someone. Meaning :In haitian creole, we use the creole expression makakri to speak of a person who is making a scene and acting stupid. And lastly, you can also check out this article about haitian creole proverbs. You don't usually say them to insult someone but when you face an unexpected (and unwanted) situation. T: used in front of any name; T means petit (little); T-Sam, etc. It will make you go moon mad. By my house Means "at my house." The results below obviously aren't all going to be applicable for the actual name of your pet/blog/startup/etc., but hopefully they get your mind working and help you see the links between various concepts. Why? Ha! About 95% of it came from my website. - Funny French idioms Des: desk If an alligator crawls under your house, be extra careful it could be a warning of someones impending death. Translation : Strong smell (in a stinking way), Translation : Monkeying around / Clowning. Andouille (ahn-do-ee) A spicy country sausage used in Gumbo and other Cajun dishes. The loup-garou is a shapeshifter, easily transforming from human to wolf, or perhaps another animal (especially in areas where wolves aren't common). Dirty rice is Cajun's classic and staple food. You won't learn these swear words in school. it simply means boy, Neg is actually a derogatory term for black males Negress is for black females. Then "Merde !" and "Putain !" are the most common French curse words. "Dem" is the brood and "ya mama" is, well, ya mama. : What time is it? : I dont know! Defan: sainted, demised, passed away, dead; What a dead person is referred to as. Chaoui: Racoon (Native American) No worries. 'to cover with shit'. The simple answer is that the term is synonymous with Acadiana, a 22-parish region settled in the mid-18th century by exiles from present-day Nova Scotia. Pomee: to laugh or cry so hard that you cannot catch your breath outreach@vidalingua.com to let us know. It could be translated as 'Christ' as 'crisse' is a contraction of that word but it's closer to 'holy shit'. The Acadians eventually became known as "Cajuns" and developed . But it is Cajun superstitions and spells, along with the myths and legends they tell, where French influence can really be seen. It's used to call someone an 'asshole' or 'cocksucker'. Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers. Our particular French dialect has a history that is colored with both pride and shame. The British deported other Acadians to Europe. Lead French linguist Vielle: an old woman This swear word can be translated as a 'horndog' or 'manwhore'. Here is a look at some of the most popular Cajun French Sayings every documented. It's used in the very common expression 'Va te faire enculer'. Always made with French bread, po-boys can be stuffed with fried oysters, shrimp, fish, crawfish, meatballs, smoked sausage and more. We (my family) were looked down on as low class, uneducated, poor back the bayou trash, you name it. Here are some more common and less vulgar ones too. Slow the T.V. "zut alors" is really tamed. Also , ha! Means i dont know pretty much in every language throught the world today. The closest translation is 'pain in the arse/ass'. Cajuns were happily removed from city life preferring a rustic life along the bayous. a va (Sa va): How are you? One phrase I use every day is "make the bed". Now, the *White* French Creoles, on the other hand, were involved with both groups, generally in a negative way, being the progenitors of the black Creoles and the first to oppress Cajuns before Les Americans appeared on the scene to oppress them all. Extremely safe, but not a swear word. Acadia was part of the broader New France colony in North America, existing from the 16th-18th centuries. Dare was a bebette crawling in my bed. Degage 6. It means I'm . But three Cajun legends are perhaps best known: The Loup-Garou, Pre Malfait and Feu follet. my family and other families I grew up with use this word all the time as a playful tease. On a similar note, you can hear another version using the word 'grosse' i.e. Meaning : This is an insult destined to men. Je t'ai sacrment dit - I damn well told you, or a c'est sacrment mauvais - That's real goddamn bad, Sapristi! A swear used to call a woman a 'whore'. It can be translated as 'bitch'. ANDOUILLE AND BOUDIN (AHN-DOO-EE AND BOO DAN), Two types of Cajun sausage. French creole is black and french. We take extreme pride in our words, history and heritage. A quite blasphemous swear meaning 'for God's sake' or 'holy shit' and that can be emphasized by adding 'merde', becoming then 'for shitty God's sake'. So it's the sort of list that would be useful for helping you build a cajun vocabulary list, or just a general cajun word list for whatever purpose, but it's not necessarily going to be useful if you're looking for words that mean the same thing as cajun (though it still might be handy for that). First off, let's clear up one common misconception: Louisiana Creole isn't the same thing as Cajun French. That was it. It can be used to say that something is of very bad quality or that someone is a very bad person. Passe: Go away If you have any feedback for the site, please share it here, but please note this is only a hobby project, so I may not be able to make regular updates to the site. More French words for bullshit. Somebody could play a dirty trick on you that would be referred to as 'une saloperie'. When adding the adjective 'petit' to get 'petit encul', which is a common insult, it is then closer to 'little shit' or 'little fucker'. Meaning : Pale kaka means speaking in a disrespectful way. Now, if you were also looking to learn more about creative ways to express things in haitian creole, you can go read this article about haitian creole expressions. Praline (praw-leen) The sweetest of sweets, this is a candy patty made of sugar, cream and pecans. In haitian creole, the word zozo means penis. Here's a list of translations. 2. According to legend, it has a human body with a wolf head, razor sharp teeth and glowing red eyes. Updated. In other words, someone always thinking about sex and trying to have sex with anybody. Alohrs pas: of course not The literal translation of this insult is 'hole of the arse/ass'. rozoe: a long thin reed used to make a buckblind (a blind used when hunting) Texians: Grande Isles; All people who do not talk like us In conjunction with The Historic New Orleans Collection's book and exhibition Cajun Document: Acadiana, 1973-74, the museum's Visitor Services staff have explored one of these groups, Cajuns, and how that term came to dominate the cultural conversations around the region. They would later bring these tales to Southern Appalachia to explain mysterious lights in the hills. This expression can be employed in many different ways i.e. Stories of the feu follet are certainly not limited to Louisiana. 7 - a Lady Bug . It can also be translated as 'goddamn'. The difference between Cajun and Creole can be very confusing to outsiders (not to mention Louisianans!). But did you know Louisiana Cajun folklore is heavily French influenced, with a dash of African, Native American, Spanish and other cultures? 11 - to be as Handsome as a God. 39 haitian creole swear words, curse words & insults. File: dried, powdered sassafras leaves - That's a hell of a thing (Expresses surprise and like dismay), Bordelation du diable - Damnation of the devil, If you want to say "you X" in French you say "mon X" for example "Mon sacr tonnerre de gala" means roughly "You goddamn fucking glutton.". Crawfish and Shrimp etouffees are New Orleans and Cajun country specialties. In other words, this phrase means the family. Looking for an app offering lessons with interactive exercises to practice French words and sayings? It is a sausage!its a rice dressing stuffed in the intestine so that makes it a sausage. It means smelly vagina. Thanks to this article, you will learn lots of swear words and insults to curse like a French person! Originally called Festival of God. In the same vein, 'chieur' means 'someone who takes a shit'. Troops from both sides of the conflict marched back and forth through the region, seizing crops and livestock, burning bridges, and interrupting trade and commerce. Mince / Mance 9. Peekon: a thorn By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Theres an annual Rougarou Festival in Houma, a Rougarou Exhibit at the Audubon Zoo and in Ohio, a Rougarou roller coaster! But a TRUE creole is French and Spanish descent. Today, it's an insult to call someone an idiot, a 'twat' or a 'jerk'. Cajun (cay-jun) Slang for Acadians, the French-speaking people who migrated to South Louisiana from Nova Scotia in the eighteenth century. share the swear. Different place, same faces, same delicious food. Oo ye yi! Creole people are of french and Spanish descent before the La purchase, my ancestors are listed as creole in NOLA in late16-1700s,people of color or just that, mulattoes or mixed race. Chot: a little, short pony tail : Get out of here! Each family helps to process the different cuts of meat, like sausage, ham, boudin, chaudin, chops, and head cheese. Domion: a peeping Tom; someone who peeps through windows. Consequently, Spain recruited them to colonize their territory of Luisiana (present day Louisiana). So for example, you could enter "creole" and click "filter", and it'd give you words that are related to cajun and creole. My final rebuttal is this. Dreegailles: junk, trinkets "Sacrbleu" is probably the most stereotypical swear word people use when trying to sound French, and it's often spelled wrong as " sacre bleu ". Get on with your life, quit whining and blaming, work hard, love your family hard, invest in your childrens future. The top 4 are: creole, quebec, acadia and gumbo. 'Salaud' is a swear word for someone who is misbehaving, or who has a reprehensible moral attitude. The English equivalent of this word is 'bullshit'. Do not believe anything online actually. : what do you want me to do now? In this article, I'm going to share several swear words and curse words . Joie de vivre [Jhwa da veev]: Joy of living. Koko Santi is an insult destined to women. Lache pas la patate (Losh pa la pa tot) Dont let go of the potato or dont give up (a testament to the enduring spirit of the Cajun people). Pinterest. it has nothing to do with girls. Worthless. Pauvre ti bte [Pove tee bet]: Poor little thing. 21. Porro: wart, Possede: a bad, mischievous kid (literally possessed) A hot pepper that is dried and used to season many Louisiana dishes. Gwen Dupre says: July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am. Some of these vulgar French words might make you feel a little uncomfortable or even shock you. Sussette: a babys pacifier This insult is kind of like a very rude way of saying "bugger off," or maybe even "fuck off." Watch the slap. 8. [AH MAH REH, An MAH REH] 1. to tie up. Dirty rice . I live on Bayou Lafourche just about as south as you can go. In haitian creole, insulting someone is called joure. Cunja: a spell put on someone It can also be used to insult a man but with no sexual connotation. These settlers, known as the Acadians, were soon exiled by the British and found refuge in Southern Louisiana, with its already-strong French heritage. The French Canadian version of 'queutard'. Is This Accurate? As in I'm goin make the beds. Head to a fais do-do to kick up your heels to live Cajun music. My family 2 generations ago lived in the bayou with no electric and no plumbing. Tawk: an onomatopoeia; a word that imitates the sound it stands for Branleur 2. Its not done. : Where do you want me to go? Spanish creole is black and spanish. You can use it with other words like 'bloody moron,' or 'bloody brilliant!'. And, like many Southerners, Cajuns also eat black eyed peas on the first to have good health in the New Year. connerie. Another blasphemous swear word as it comes from 'tabernacle' which is the small piece of furniture where the hosts are stored. Allons [Ah-loh (n)]: Let's go. Con 5. Muspeulus: A Japanese pear tree 13 - Il ne Faut pas Prendre les Enfants du Bon Dieu Pour des Canards Sauvages. And a person can be a real saloperie or an 'asshole' in English. The loup-garou is a shapeshifter, easily transforming from human to wolf, or perhaps another animal (especially in areas where wolves arent common). Poo-yee-yi: That stinks! Some believe the feu follet are a naturally occurring phenomena known as swamp gas. Others believe they are the souls of dead loved ones, trapped in purgatory. Magazin: store This is a difficult decision, because almost all references I check refer to boudin as a sausage. Keep reading. Everyone I know from my home town of Port Barre to where my dad is from in Ville Platte know what this means. Yep. 'Foutre' can be either a noun or a verb. This is the French Canadian version of 'putain'. Strips of spiced pork or beef which are smoked like jerky and used to flavor many dishes; a sort of Cajun pepperoni. You can get the definition(s) of a word in the list below by tapping the question-mark icon next to it. "Sacred blue" is a literal English equivalent of the French phrase sacrebleu.Specifically, the word combines the adjectives sacre . For instance, when your teacher gives you a bad grade and you think it's unfair. Etoufee (ay-too-fay) A succulent, tangy tomato-based sauce. Capo: coward Some of these are not Cajun words or slang, at all.just regular English words or phrases with a coonass accent. The area in which you reside is VERY influenced by creole due to its proximity to New Orleans. Depouille: anything or anyone who is a mess This French insult designates a woman who does not dress or behave with class, with an extravagant attitude or outfit, and who's not very clever. What is the English translation of the French phrase 'sacrebleu'? What does that mean? Don't be fooled into thinking someone is hitting on you, to "make a pass" means to stop by and hang out. bonne homme. 8. The mouse: Grande Isles; a mouse that leaves money under the pillows instead of the tooth fairy Hosepipe: water hose Have a nice day! Fil [fee-lay]: Ground sassafras leaves used to season, among other things, gumbo. This is the French equivalent of the internationally known 'son of a bitch'. Third, Lafourche has a complete different dialect due to the native American influence of the area. Where put this? Finally, to ward off evil: Drill a hole in a dime and wear it about your neck under your clothing. (kass-twah) This French curse became the center of a French controversy when President Sarkozy was caught saying this to a French citizen who had refused to shake his hand at an agricultural fair in France. POWERED BY. Phrase. Each family gets to take home their share of the yield. World Translation Center supplies professional Cajun French translation services for English to Cajun French and Cajun French to English. Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. Christine Ducos-Restagno Like witches, early French society blamed loup-garous for much that went wrong bad crops, dead livestock, missing children, spiritual doubt. Meaning : Its a bit of a variant of saying pale kaka. You can keep these French swear words and their audio pronunciation in your pocket by downloading French Translator Dictionary + for free on your to another place). It can also refer to actions when you do something stupid, as in 'faire une/des connerie(s)'. Frottior [froh-twahr]: A washboard or rubboard used as a musical instrument in zydeco and Cajun music. Cajun folklore is filled with stories about dancing lights enticing doomed people into the swamp, where they become disoriented and drown. Cajun cuisine, during the time of their settlement in Louisiana, was considered to be the cuisine of the peasants. A rice dish with any combination of beef, pork, fowl, smoked sausage, ham, or seafood, as well as celery, green peppers and often tomatoes. Aug 16, 2021 - Explore Honor pallister's board "cajun phrases and curse words" on Pinterest. This giant, ape-like creature has webbed feet, matted gray hair and yellow eyes. Stepin: underwear That is the older meaning. Had a guy say, mo be feet be 10. T'es rien qu'un petit connard 13. Louisiana Cajun folklore, superstitions, spells and legends are known around the world. "I was late for work because, last night when I told Tee-Boy to save my keys? Today, the loup-garou seems more beloved than feared in Cajun country. These Cajun superstitions, spells, myths and legends only scratch the surface of what you will hear, even today, in Louisiana. ), or from looking into a loup-garous eyes. This is the vulgar term for testicles and is equivalent to 'bollocks' or 'balls'. : turn down the volume Zinc: kitchen sink soul. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Etouffee (ay-too-fay) A succulent, tangy tomato-based sauce. This instrument gave Cajun music its remarkable sound and beat. He always told us to stay honest, work hard, and always act like someone is looking and you will have character and integrity. It refers to a person who annoys or bothers you and can be translated as 'pain in the arse'. Hence, Louisianans refer to the original Acadian settlers as Cajun, derived from the French term les Acadians. Boudin is rice dressing, (or if your from up north- Dirty Rice) Nutrition (per serving): 6 calories, .3 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates, .4 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 214 . The loup-garou lurks in Louisiana swamps and, naturally, howls at the moon. Cajun Words Below is a massive list of cajun words - that is, words related to cajun. Grand Beede: big, clumsy man Where go? Make a bill: buy groceries 6. It basically means F*** your mother! and its quite vulgar. Most commercial blends contain some combination of the following ingredients: Salt (though salt-free versions do exist) Paprika Red pepper Black pepper Thyme Celery seed Garlic powder Onion powder Cajun Seasoning Uses Tasso (tah-soh) Strips of spiced pork or beef which are smoked like jerky and used to flavor many dishes; a sort of Cajun pepperoni.

Old Jamaica Chocolate Advert, Honkai Impact 3 Controller Support Android, What Happened To Officer Mangin, Articles C

cajun curse words