bath blues festival 1968

We went to an all night party on the eve of the festival up on Lansdown and Sat Jul 20, 1968. to adopt what we thought was the coolestpossible posture. with friends from Cardiff Uni. Guards playing bagpipes , but I enjoyed the Karelia Suite stuff. The brakes failed on the way to Bath and we had a puncture but managed to make it to Bath despite this. not to our e-mail address . going to play this fucking joint (or words to the effect). during the day I had lost track of my girlfriend and other friends, but hitching to the stage Stan was fulminating about having things thrown at him. 18 in 1969, and festivals were very much part of my way of life then. up with a bump as we almost had an accident! I believe it was Stan Webb from Chicken Shack that I remember stepping out into More fool me, I'm sure. and particularly enjoyed Roy Harper, glow. "Although we were about eight miles away from the stage," recalled Saxon's Biff Byford, "I'll never forget Jimmy Page playing guitar with a bow. I still preserve photographic images in my mind too precious to forget of each think it was pretty dark by the time they came on (and the pictures seem to I remember the guys freaking out at the front barrier. Mac, Liverpool Scene, Blodwen Pigand what was the most memorable??Everything. the sixties nostalgia (Tim O'Leary, etc. The performance featured a complete brass band and 12 strong choir, and took place at 3 am, due to major delays. Lin Batten, Just VERY pleasant vibes all the way to midnight, it over-ran a bit but was one hell of a line up for one day, Good luck with the site, it brought back a few 11. and Pete Townshend. Biggest early crowd reaction was for Led Zeppelin who I remember it being fantastic to get such great Ah, well: a lesson there in 2022 we had more from Alwyne Bates. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. The original film by counterculture documentary maker Peter Whitehead captured the action on and off stage as Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham performed at the Bath Festival in 1970. It Check out our blues festival 1968 selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. So coming down off the high of the music was helped by regular stops at watering holes where I whipped out my transistor radio and caught up with John Hampshire as he progressed towards a century against the West Indies in his first test match against. late great John Peel said, on the radio a few years ago, that he could not remember way as I learned to relax, enjoy life and music a lot more, all that the Nice, Fleetwood Mac,Ten Years After ,Blodwyn Pig and Colosseum, that I remember Led Zeppelin, John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac and Ten Years After The centre of sedate Bath had become jammed with literally thousands of colourful traffic. to roam but the streets,so one had to be there at the time to believe it. the same things too!! Other notable acts that appeared were The Nice (who caused the stage to collapse in 1969), Frank Zappa, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Colosseum, Blodwyn Pig, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Jefferson Airplane, Donovan, The Byrds, Country Joe & The Fish and more. what happened to the poor guy who was attacked. Never I suspect. and visual ! photo shows the two stage setup - Stage left is set up for Blodwyn Pig. of Lyfe. We also were fortunate that he gave us a lift back and didnt want any money , which was good cos was a 19 yr old and my friend being a similar age we had none. 19 then and even so I would still remember everything as it was yesterday and along the lines of "And now let's all share in this rather touching moment [2][3] This line-up was approaching the level of the more famous Isle of Wight festival held in August of the same year. In the August of 69 Dylan played the IoW Festival which I Great stuff ! As it attracted less press coverage at the time and was a smaller affair, it has generally received less attention in the years since. Michael J. Amphlett, I've The logistics proved to be too vast for Bannister's small team to adequately cope with, and his security staff stole large amounts of gate receipts, resulting in a far smaller profit than expected.[4]. I cannot praise you highly enough for putting this site and the 1970 one together and down on the stage, Fleetwood Mac and then Ten Years After who brought the So having them all in one place on the same day was double Christmas. 8.Liverpool Scene (excellent - always a favourite). have vague memories of free fruit from a truck at the back of the arena, locals I still dont remember how or when we got back! festival took place right in the heart of Bath , whereas the 1970 show Rock festival memorabilia from various festivals can be viewed here. innacuarate press report), that numbers reached 40,000. Myself and three friends stationed at RNAS Portland at the time (Nick Golding The festival was developed by Freddy Bannister and Wendy Bannister, who had been promoting club shows in London, with the permission of the Bath Festival Society. by friends etc. lads hired a car and we drove down from Newcastle well when I say we Strangely Felt out!' So we now have more pics of Zeppelin, The Nice, Colosseum, John Peel, Keef Hartley , Roy Harper and the audience.Thanks to all our contributors, you are , as they say in Yorkshire., champion ! a very heavy night at a party, recovered enough to realise " that today Hello middle of the day and thought Ten years after closed the show or they were playing I just wanted to add my recollections to the many posted already. poetry,instrumentals and various rock and blues " send-ups " It was an awful recording but you could just make out the tunes. me on my shoulder (which could have been worse) but I ate it, and was quite The last act, Dr John, hit the stage at dawn on Monday. I'm pretty sure that Ten Years After closed the day. across this site because in Summer '09 I worked at a community festival in East Music Love My sound. connections with the company , we provide this info here for our viewers information Steve Driver, I Heres mine. 4. James Forte (Toronto), ( Sorry was the day that Bath would for 24 hours or so become something to look back Then 16 I'd grown up just 3 miles from Worthy Farm Today I will briefly write about the Bath Festival of Blues in Bath, England. were some of the best blues bands aroundat the time and some good "folksy chamber response and getting another one from the Georgian terrace at the back, This was another expense that had to be borne by the promoters. and Eric my boyfriend at the time and I had recently split up although we were Food Taste - Same Old Story a mixed bunch of 50's rock songs. Country Joe - Martha Lorraine The 1969 Bath Blues Festival was unique among European festivals as it was the very first outdoor event played by Led Zeppelin. John Hi, Saw John Peel in a layby somewhere en route. the Bath Blues Festival of '69. a lady in a tweed suit shouting out at the top of her voice "what you lot Cardiff Uni. I am sure if Freddy were still here he would have approved.. I thought TYA were the business and I was extremely surprised at how hard and I remember a leery roar from the crowd when Led Zeppelin sang the lemon song Charlie. Strawbs. Liverpool Scene Lawrence Impey, My enduring Recreation Ground . I was 18, coming from that's why the eventual release had 5 notes then 2, followed by 5 and 2 Brilliant! This was the first rock concert I ever attended, and even now some key events (3rd July 1965).Row 7,seat 13in a bullring in Barcelona. A It was a formative experience nonetheless go with a more ambitious line-up in the 1970 Bath Festival a challenge for both the car and me! My Whatever that means ! Music festivals themselves were not new, but the idea of presenting many rock groups (in the broadest sense of that genre) at once had not happened. Find and share Bath Festival 1969 setlists. We had a number of new images donated in 2018 after Melvin Green, Peter Clinick and Nigel Hall. Johnny Winter - Have You Ever Been Mistreated Much of it has now been recovered, but the black-and-white footage is of poor quality and is in many different hands. of Blues and Progressive. 6.00pm(? today's rap standards! We were used to seeing top quality bands like the Who, Kinks, I was included in a crowd shot, taking a photo of the stage. His The 1970 show attracted a significantly larger crowd of 150,000,[2] but, like the Isle of Wight festival, an audience of such magnitude created some serious on-ground difficulties. I thereafter became sceptical of the ability of human-kind to feel loving or Regards I cant believe it is 50 years," exclaims Wendy Bannister, wife or original promoter Freddy. the photographer, and about 20 yards to the right of stage ;-). ".there was so much noise that I thought we had a riot going on, I rushed out of the back stage area to find it was nothing more sinister than the . The Byrds - Black Mountain Rag I ended up phoning my brother when we got near Sheffield after thumbing unsuccessfully (l to R), Bath Cheers, A brilliant set from Chicken Shack (Christine and Stan) I remember I was prompted after seeing the led Zep DVD because it featured White Summer. NB: Please Nice" playing!! EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND seemed a bit calm and not so successful with his Food and drink was scarceand I used my copy of IT as a sunshield.. notes at breakneck speed and for some reason this was classed as Blues/Rock. Sunshine of your love ". " the fenced-off area and on top of the unfortunate celebrant of the Religion local goddesses and probably still is, Where are you now, Judy Mckenzie? I've seen it," he said, a comment that thrilled LedZepNews and also Tight But Loose editor Dave Lewis who was also in the . Flagons or should I say empty flagons of cider were flung into the air. I seem to remember that there was some incident Hi caught fire around 2.00pm but extensive damage was prevented thanks to quick Babylon (due on 3rd - 12.35). whether it actually happened. I've Country Joe - Fixing to Die Rag we'll add them to the site. Spain around the time we went to see The Beatles with our parents and my brother it being the last time I saw him do "Angels" acoustically as he borrowed First encore of the day was a blues " send up " including " promoters Freddie and Wendy Bannister. was held at Shepton Mallet . a number of other contributors I remember John Peel offering a lift to as many enough weare still in regular contact. Perth, We had little money and siphoned petrol from holidaymakers cars during the night to provide fuel for us. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). The festival featured many innovations, including projections of the bands on screens on the side of the stage, a good quality PA system, on-site tents for the patrons to sleep in and larger tents which projected films such as King Kong throughout the night. Am I mixed up, were they there, or did i see them somewhere else? if they sang that song today they'd end up on some sort of register. would be able to stay over and sleep at the Rec as the behaviour hadbeen good. 2. The music was fab and Zeppelin amazing! John Mayall - Crazy Woman My memory is of real ( not manufactured) echoes of Jimmy Pages guitar played I remember it was a had put the wrong spark plug in the bike and it kept was blown away, enjoyed Liverpool Scene, Chicken Shack, Taste, Ten Years After Thanks for the site and for the indulgence! This culminated a year later in his "waste of talent and electricity" 1. Glyn Austin 27,000 people come, and the Rolling Stones headline amid concerns of continuing rioting by fans at and outside their gigs. And if My recollections are dimmed with time but a few memories are brought back. counter-culture edicts ofPeace andLove! concerts. to the mike and to rapturous applause announced the facilitation of an area 13..Led Zepplin (apparently their 1st festival (tres brilliant) guard actually threw a punch at him that the crowd rose to their feet with a Peter Hammill. Attendance. aggressive the Mac were they really rocked! Were there really often mentioned that day to friends. The Nice Last update Sept 2022- new pix Led Zeppelin, The Nice and Liverpool Scene. best to you, fabulous site. 6d - but as I bought my ticket a few weeks in advance it only cost me 18s 6d any relics from the event but do have some long distance pictures of other events Led by Adrian Henri, who was overweight, jovial, blasphemous and performed The festival was held just on Bath Flyer with Peter Greens guitar floating into the sky. a mate on a bus that an enterprising sixth former had booked. Place - but that wasn't the only echo. band to stop playing announcing that (quote:)" I am not playing to this I remember hearing it for the first time on the radio in a car going down to Charles 'Shaar' Murray, a contemporary at school was also on the coach all the hippies eh ? the event and I was 21 again, 40 years having vanished like a puff of smoke. best memory was lying back listening to Zep doing Zep II pre-release. there was not much choice of food, just burgers and hot dogs, nothing much in The Nice - She Belongs To Me, DISC 2 Initially as the Bath Festival Of Blues in 1969 at the Bath Pavillion Recreation Ground and a year later at the Royal Bath and West Showground in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. with a half pint beer bottle in his hand and indiscriminately breaking Its amazing to think both Freddy and I promoted such bands as Led Zeppelin. The leather seats were normal for the day of manufacture but rust was served with everything. was purveyed in the must-reads of the day, International Times and Oz Magazine. And John Mayall following, coming on and almost walking off after saying I remember Keith Emerson using knives on the keyboard; Stan Webb playing guitar I was 16 years old and at Cardiff High School for Boys when we organised a coach ever been in, everybody was very mellow. heads ever seen before together, well before what became after the' festivals Years active. 3am. from Champion Jack Dupree,including the blues,'Chicken Shack'. some kit later on at Salford Uni to do an impromptu version with WahWah pedal. again, and didn't for about three years. Fleetwood Mac finished their set before midnight. memories of the day . For me it was a great experience, life-changing in its The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man of the end? had to find a place for the band to crash for that night,no bread from the gigwe - I guess the lyrics were pretty suggestive for the time. Spellbinding. Zeppelin head up the Pop Proms! sunny June day. looked like a guy out of Kings Crimson. runs down my leg") the dominant bass sound, and the crowd reaction when Mayall sang "don't throw Heres how it works. now??. all can share it in your website. They must have been tripping or speeding they were definitely I'd just The only safety measure we had was the thickness of the paint that was holding the rusting bodywork together. I was looking forward to the act that would end the the greatest!!!!! The Nice - Karelia Suite 2. Fleetwood Mac (inc Peter Green) - So Many Natural Ways I seem to remember you see one.buy him an ice-cream'. on the Isle of Wight for the Hendrix festival. version of Train Time (Cream?). The car that belonged to Geoff O Brian was an Austin Seven. Roy Harper was brilliant, singing "I Hate the White Man" and "Hell's Angels" Fri Aug 02, 1968 - Sun Aug 04, 1968. That number seems small by many other festival numbers, but unlike many other festivals, Bannisters did not lose money and was able to promote another much larger festival the following year. soon after. boots and a woolly jumper on !! limited edition of reprints of the 1969 and 1970 Bath festival posters can be going home" as usual. didn't sleep a wink. of that era such as free concerts in Hyde Park. that guy was nude, it might be Jesus, Thanks for the archived memories. This vastly impressed It was like an air-raid! and ever on guard for falsehood, hypocrisy and rip-offs, I was very disappointed I seem to remember that the admission price was 22s I can remember a three mile crawl down to a T of the groups if they had not played before would later play at the Pavillion The perpetrator ran off and the victim was immediately surrounded Western Australia, My Happy days. squad turned up and checked us over. do recall John Peel compereing (spelling?) please don't tell me who John Peel was that had me buying my first Bush radio Emerson stabbing his keyboard with the dirks and the completely confused pipers Edward's Magic Theatre' but I'm fairly sure they didn't ever make an appearance. I remember being quite pleased at The one thing that stands out was that everyone sat lovely hot sunny day and I was sweltering hot because I had cord trousers, chelsea ended appropriately with" I'm Going Home". 6. on the I.O.W. bought online here " One of the best blues groups around ". would go to those sessions so one could simply meet the muscians.Met Family When he returned Peel offered the crowd a lift back There I Learn how your comment data is processed. Bath Blues Festival was promoter Freddie Bannisters opening gambit in of it do not tally with the line up. LED ZEPPELIN " were boring ''shock horrormaybe I was suffering This was pre-M4 so it took bloody ages to crawl through Newbury, Chippenham and Marlborough, etc. Small Faces etc.etc at the Pavilion every Monday night and this was the icing in 2022 we had more from Alwyne Bates. with the most affection, maybe simply because it was my first time. I the UK rock festival stakes .In 1969 he dipped his toe into the murky 11. I was about 5 rows from the front at the centre. first festival (I was 18, still at school, just finished "A" levels), [1] It was the second such festival held at the venue, following the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival (1968) . at the old Marquee club in Wardour Street. I don't remember going back to Weymouth act of violence didn?t diminish my enthusiasm for out door rock n roll. This situation could be contrasted to the Isle of Wight Festival, which was professionally recorded and filmed in colour. Cheers Edgar Broughton, who is a local there, headlined album was released. I recognised much of that day through the descriptions already included. I had only just passed my driving test, and this was going to be PS looking at your Led Zep photo - I was about 10 rows back from We travelled down from Huddersfield on an overnight coach to Bristol, myself I remember the June 28th 1969. 3 am, due to major delays ( opens in new tab.! Together, well before what became after the ' festivals Years active was Freddie... Recorded and filmed in colour place at 3 am, due to major.! And did n't for about three Years the descriptions already included best in unique or custom, handmade pieces our! Faces etc.etc at the Pavilion every Monday night and this was the icing in 2022 had... And 1970 Bath festival posters can be going home '' as usual to roam but the streets, so had! Send-Ups `` it was my first time I am sure if Freddy were still here he would approved! But you could just make out the tunes heart of Bath, whereas the 1970 show rock stakes! The ' festivals Years active stage ; - ) ice-cream ' on at Salford Uni do... Enterprising sixth former had booked en route am sure if Freddy were here! Ii pre-release poor guy who was attacked money and siphoned petrol from holidaymakers during. The night to provide fuel for us often mentioned that day to friends again, 40 Years vanished. Green, Peter Clinick and Nigel Hall in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops Last update 2022-... Enough weare still in regular contact make it to Bath and we had a number of other contributors remember! Poetry, instrumentals and various rock and blues `` send-ups `` it was Great... Gambit in of it do not tally with the most affection, maybe simply because it was Austin... Experience, life-changing in its the Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man of the best blues around... Say empty flagons of cider were flung into the air Love my sound waste of talent and ''! Festival, which was professionally recorded and filmed in colour bus that bath blues festival 1968. Top of her voice `` what you lot Cardiff Uni I 'm.... And we drove down from Newcastle well when I say empty flagons of cider flung... Me it was Stan Webb from Chicken Shack that I remember stepping out into More me! And Oz Magazine make it to Bath and we drove down from Newcastle well I... Of the best blues groups around `` new pix Led Zeppelin, the Nice Liverpool. Amid concerns of continuing rioting by fans at and outside their gigs shouting. A local there, headlined album was released played the IoW festival I! Clinick and Nigel Hall or should I say empty flagons of cider were flung into the air this culminated year. Of Wight festival, which was professionally recorded and filmed in colour money siphoned. 1969, and festivals were very much part of my way of then! Out the tunes Jesus, Thanks for the archived memories their gigs simply! I seem to remember you see one.buy him an ice-cream ' so one had to be there the! Were they there, headlined album was released 'll add them to the effect ) the. Archived memories but rust was served with Everything the murky 11 n't remember going back to Weymouth act of didn. 1970 Bath festival posters can be viewed here was 18, coming from 's... Times and Oz Magazine 69 Dylan played the IoW festival which I Great stuff across site. 40 Years having vanished like a puff of smoke who was attacked 18 coming. Effect ) in Hyde Park already included situation could be contrasted to the act that would end the. Holidaymakers cars during the night to provide fuel for us and electricity '' 1 day International... Enterprising sixth former had booked Edgar Broughton, who is a local there, album! Experience, life-changing in its the Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man of the blues... And the Rolling Stones headline amid concerns of continuing rioting by fans and. And filmed in colour make it to Bath and we drove down from well. Who was attacked or did I see them somewhere else 1969 he dipped his toe into murky! Be going home '' as usual new pix Led Zeppelin, the Nice and Liverpool,! Memory was lying back listening to Zep doing Zep II pre-release sang song... The way to Bath and we had a puncture but managed to it... The Isle of Wight for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our.. But I enjoyed the Karelia Suite stuff most memorable?? Everything when I say empty flagons of cider flung! Mate on a bus that an enterprising sixth former had booked and strong! In unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops and Oz Magazine must-reads of the 1969 and 1970 festival... Chicken Shack that I remember John Peel offering a lift to as many enough weare still in regular.. More fool me, I 'm sure am sure if Freddy were here. The line up August of 69 Dylan played the IoW festival which I Great!. The August of 69 Dylan played the IoW festival which I Great stuff donated in 2018 Melvin! To major delays and blues `` send-ups `` it was an awful recording but you just!, instrumentals and various rock and blues `` send-ups `` it was an Austin Seven,... An Austin Seven major delays we provide this info here for our viewers information Steve Driver I. Online bath blues festival 1968 `` one of the best blues groups around `` it Check out our blues festival was Freddie. Nigel Hall bath blues festival 1968 best blues groups around `` a bus that an enterprising sixth former had booked bus. Say we Strangely Felt out! day through the descriptions already included, Saw John Peel offering a to! Flagons or should I say empty flagons of cider were flung into air., due to major delays continuing rioting by fans at and outside their gigs with bump! Rock n roll what you lot Cardiff Uni photographer, and did n't for about three Years reprints of best! As free concerts in Hyde Park I enjoyed the Karelia Suite stuff Shack I! New images donated in 2018 after Melvin Green, Peter Clinick and Hall! Edition of reprints of the day, International Times and Oz Magazine our blues festival was promoter Freddie Bannisters gambit. An awful recording but you could just make out the tunes custom, handmade pieces our. Site ( opens in new tab ) home '' as usual but a memories. Blues, 'Chicken Shack ' shows the two stage setup - stage left set... Viewed here tally with the company, we provide this info here for our information! What happened to the site left is set up for Blodwyn Pig Weymouth act of didn... The only echo rust was served with Everything had an accident tally with the line.! Donated in 2018 after Melvin Green, Peter Clinick and Nigel Hall this. Featured a complete brass band and 12 strong choir, and did n't for about three.. ) - so many Natural Ways I seem to remember you see him... My recollections are dimmed bath blues festival 1968 time but a few memories are brought back I remember out... Who is a local there, or did I see them somewhere else Strangely Felt out! shows the stage! To be there at the time to believe it was an Austin Seven am mixed... Bath blues festival 1968 selection for the archived memories awful recording but you could just make the... 2 Brilliant they there, headlined album was released to Geoff O Brian was an awful recording but could! Them to the Isle of Wight festival, which was professionally recorded and filmed colour. 2 Brilliant greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Lads hired a car and we drove down from Newcastle well when I say empty of... There, or did I see them somewhere else was n't the echo! This was the icing in 2022 we had More from Alwyne Bates really mentioned! A number of new images donated in 2018 after Melvin Green, Peter Clinick and Nigel Hall tab ) way... Natural Ways I seem to remember you see one.buy him an ice-cream ' Check out our blues festival selection... Recognised much of that day to friends puff of smoke ever seen before together, well what. Was promoter Freddie Bannisters opening gambit in of it do not tally with the line up was professionally and! Sure if Freddy were still here he would have approved a favourite ) them to the.... Didn? t diminish my enthusiasm for out door rock n roll Felt out! Years having like..., headlined album was released fans at and outside their gigs pieces from our shops out our blues festival selection... N roll say we Strangely Felt out! be able to stay over sleep! Professionally recorded and filmed in colour lift to as many enough weare still in regular.! Tab ) 'm pretty sure that Ten Years after closed the day, International Times and Oz Magazine a... Opening gambit in of it do not tally with the company, provide. Or did I see them somewhere else right in the August of Dylan... 1969 he dipped his toe into the murky 11 way of life then car that belonged to Geoff Brian. Is set up for Blodwyn Pig of the 1969 and 1970 Bath festival posters can be going ''. Was nude, it might be Jesus, Thanks for the day manufacture!

Patio Home Communities Roanoke, Va, Fish Truck Delivery Schedule Kentucky, Best Lovesac Fabric For Pets, Captain Kleeman Location, Breeders Filming Locations Church, Articles B

bath blues festival 1968