basil collins harlan county obituary

I made another U turn and started back toward Harlan at a much slower pace and was directed to take the Loyall turn off. Debbie Elaine Absher February 23, 2023 (72 years old) View obituary. Bianchi Funeral Homes, Inc. Evarts ~ Harlan ~ Loyall ~ Tri City. It was gray and you had to add the coloring to it. Im from graysknob, pine branch was were I lived till I was 17 then we moved to Putney. Im not from Kentucky saw this blog post through a friends facebook but Ive really enjoyed reading it and the comments! E Hudson. Oh the cheese made the best grilled cheese, My wife from Ohio and my 2 children even loved it. Thanks again for the good read. Sometimes you hear gun fire in the distance, but thats in the woods. Basil was a neighbor of ours when I was a kid, so I know he was real. She talks about taking care of her father through his health issues while also participating in the Brookside strike. John. After 8 weeks or so the letter came with I found your Harlan countian!! My great grandpa ran a mill there. Clarences family was pretty small. Trust me on this one. I rarely saw Janice after I left the hospital, Born and raised in Harlan, graduated from HHS in 1974, and UK in 78.went to work in Washington DC.talk about culture shock! My mother grew up in Cumberland and knew tons of Creeches from up that way. Do you think either one of these fits into your family. This section contains the heritage, vision, and the people behind West Family Funeral Services's reputation of quality, sincerity, and trust. Guide to Harlan County, Kentucky ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records. My friends still tell me you can take the girl out of Eastern Kentucky, but you cant take the Eastern Kentucky out of the girl. Harlan, KY Mt Pleasant Funeral Home Inc Add Photos 1 Memory Ruby Margaret Smith Ruby Margaret "Lucy" Widner Smith, 70, of Essie passed away Monday, February, 20, 2023, at her residence. U take car cuz. Basil Collins asks the sheriff, who is handling the situation in plainclothes, why he's being arrested and hears, "Disorderly conduct I guess; I don't know." Even at a tragic moment, a union veteran speaks after the death of Lawrence Jones and puts it this way: "Why couldn't it be somebody like me, some old man just about spent anyhow." No worries. One guy said we were like Indians who left the reservation. If he is still living can you ask him about any Leonard relatives he know about or put him in touch with me. Very funny (and true). We hung out at Denny Rays, Kens and I cant remember the drive in on the road to Loyall?? This one in particular may be of interesthttps://thetrivialtroll.com/2013/07/13/hometown-loyall-ty/ I know it well. Her husband had been killed during the war. Theyre usually the folks who dream of turning all of Eastern Kentucky into a massive tourist destination by having all the people who live there pack up and move. I ate government cheese as often as we got it. Wouldnt trade it for anything. It was quiet then. I have a 94 year old aunt who still lives there. We have live all over Eastern Ky, moved south to the Carolinas, then back to eastern Ky for a couple years. The distance a miner had to walk and how time was looked at was in 15-minute increments. My grandparents, Elve and Flaura Campbell, moved to Sunshine and eventually to Loyall. Went to JACHS then moved to Indiana an I havent went home in a long time. Eastern Kentucky isnt for everybody, it isnt even for a lot of the people who live here their whole life. I have enjoyed these old memories!!! Anyway, thanks again. Both my grandsons have degrees in med profession PT and Massage Therapy. It was described as a place where people only smiled when they heard that someone had died. Im on the state Corrections Commission, so Ive seen her name. That is perhaps because I hail from off the grid (Smith). My Grandfather/Grandmother was Floyd/Janie Clark. That is certainly true, but I must say that those unfortunates (if thats what they are) are the in minority.. Brought back alot of memories. I remember it seemed like every time my high school played Cawood there was a knife fight. Proud to be from Harlan County.. man now im so homesick!! Obituaries usually give the name of the deceased and the death or burial date. Jenny Lynn (Saylor) Moore I was born and raised in Wallins ,lived there until I was 28 moved to Florida w/ My husband David Moore from Graysknob, we both graduated from James A. Cawood, My heart is still in the mountains, you can take the girl out of the country but you cant take the country out of the girl, we long to come back some someday Lord willing, I am a Harlan girl to the bone. My younger brother and I were born and raised in Dayton. Many who knew of the hair would be shocked to know he wears it pretty much buzzed these days. John Basil Collins was Uncle Basil to us. That I can remember but I cant find my car in the parking lot? He tell the difference between bills by touch. The people certainly are of Eastern Kentucky stripe, but they do lack isolation. I was born and raised in Harlan County-Cumberland. Been back very few times. Its bleak. I have three amazing great-grandbabies. His name was Arthur Johnson, he was from Cumberland, but lived at Now, dont confuse Harlan County with the town of Harlan, our county seat. "Harlan County, U.S.A," opening today at the Outer Circle 2, suffers from some makeshift structural devices and occasional lapses of judgment, but it's an ardent, absorbing work of . It was originally the Bays Motel. BTW until barrack obama declared war on our coal mines,a fact, there were more millionaires in Harlan, Pike,Perry Counties, per capita than in our largest cities. The vast majority of Harlan Countians are proud to be from Harlan. I also would talk to Art at the store in Loyall, where I would stop to get gas. They just inflict harm. And so do I. I know all those places. Irene Whitehead Clark. Welcome to Harlan County! Thanks for the kind words. Of course, it doesnt. Not many folks have a clue of my history, and thats fine. Some escape, but most dont. They deal with a drug problem that I cant imagine. SOMEONE MENTIONED SMITH. I am a born and raised harlan countian. It has to be kind of tough to get there or at the very least its just on the way to somewhere else. Not a native but my ears always perk up when I hear Harlan. I attended LoyallElementary and Junior High and James A. Cawood High School. Although I left Harlan County in 1968, and grew up in Florida, I am still proud to say, I am from Harlan County! U and I are related. Did you know Jimmy C. Morgan? born and raised in harlan ky live in northern. Enjoyed reading your blog. cheese. Honestly, I laughed out loud, because it was so venomous. the Ackley Hotel in Harlan until he retired and moved back to Cumberland. I go back to Ky at least once a year. They arent isolated enough. I just cant get enough of the haters. I am origionally from Atlanta. My best friend (not from Harlan) went to Saudi Arabia as a traveling nurse. Your dad was a really good teacher. What year, and how did he die (or is he still alive)? HARLAN COLLINS OBITUARY. Sadly, they didnt seem to be doing well. I live across the mountains from Harlan in a little off the map place called Leatherwood in perry county. It has always been home for me. My reply was that he didnt scare me, I am from Harlan, Kentucky! My maternal grandparents grew up in Black Star coal camp and Papaw taught at Hall High. Charles Leonard Birmingham, AL. A few notes: The qualifications for Eastern Kentucky status include: I hail from Harlan County, the Eastern Kentuckiest of all counties. Crow Drums 70 (CHS). The previous mentioned Clarence E. Leonard is my Uncle. Mostly, we just hung out. Being a descendant of such a controversial character of those times I may be asking for a social beating on here. Foster Funeral . Now kids go to Harlan County High School which consumed Cawood, Evarts and Cumberland High Schools. I wouldnt trade my life for anyone else. loved this. I worked with them both at Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital in the late 60s, early 70s. Now, sadly, its a way of life in the mountains. View Recent Obituaries for Bianchi Funeral Homes Evarts~Harlan~Loyall~Tri City. I knew no one married to his own sister and just a handful married to their cousins. We went to the movies most weekends and to every football and basketball game. LO Harlan County, Kentucky: Basil Collins miner foreman and leader/manager of the scabs confronts picketers with a 45 in his right pocket. Nothing came easy for Dad but he never complained. I found the search function and found the story. Others leave to find better opportunities. I lived in Cumberland for 2 years from ~ 1974-1976. Basil was born January 18, 1930, in Montevideo, Minnesota, the third of five. People gathered at the railroad tracks to watch it. . Cawood was named after James A. Cawood, long time Superintendent of the Harlan County Schools. Btw, the Mount Victory part of this county feels very Eastern KY. Just found the blog and enjoyed it. One of the only times I used my dads reputation, telling the guy to go ahead but it was going to be his last night on Earth, because if I didnt kill him, my dad would. You havent had a grilled cheese sandwich until youve had one made with govment cheese, govment butter and fresh Bunny Bread. I still get over through there for work sometimes. If so, let me know so I can fill any dates, places, names and information you may furnish to me. You hit the nail on the head. So, I guess Im just arguing it is in the wrong state After hours we would head to the American Legion behind the Post Office. If we meet anyone else from Eastern Kentucky, we can get instant acceptance with a simple I grew up in Harlan. Translation: Despite appearances, I will kill you if necessary. You can see it in Google Street Views here: https://goo.gl/maps/QoyKa, Hey my cousin owned the fuzzy duck my papa had a poker house there and boot legged beer iwas raised in the first house coming down black mountain love it go back all the time, Right before you get to lynch golf course coming down black mtn there was a house to the right my great great grand pa had a saw mill there and built the house where my great grand pa lived then my mama got it love it there if I ever hit the lottery ill be back to live and put alot of people to work I love the mtns go there every christmas and summers thanks for the memories cool blog sorry for the grammer lol periods commas all the same to me it. Oh, and that knife fight deal down there: I saw a big one at Hall once, in the yard in front of the school crazy watching the teachers try to break that one up. It reeked of Pine Sol. If I go back to Harlan for even a day, even my family cant understand me when I get back. Their isnt anyone who acts the way you have described them in this concoction, Nor is the area the way you have presented it. We laugh at them but let them have their fun. Maybe they just didnt have much else to do. Oh, i think these shows are a joke, they couldnt do the truth,,, thank you, Lane. The only tv stations the antenna could pick up were out of knoxville But today, thanks to my daughter and another pool company, there are more privately owned pools at homes, per average, than in Fayette County (Lexington). We also had to carry our water from a water-pump in buckets, so the new bathroom was a good conversation subject with its only use was the bathtub that we would heat water to bathe in. Just curious, if you struggled with the inclusion of Whitley county..what was your rationale for the inclusion of mccreary county? People may had been living on Government cheese when you grew up and the first may had been like a amusement park, but all that has changed. Ronald Peters. Id love to learn more about the people, especially on the other side of the strike. I love being from there. I pass by there to go to my mothers home, it is amazing to see in Harlan Co. The culture you describe in Harlan is very similar to Leadville-only the accents are different-except for my dadhe never lost his. Brought back some memories. We moved here from a comfortable city life to having no electricity (a new three bedroom house with one bath and hardwood floors. I still call Harlan home, and as our family decreases, we return to our home to rest in Resthaven until we are all reunited in the hereafter. We knew who it was, because he told my mom about the encounter, but he was quietly scary, like a lot of the men from his era. He's lived in Harlan County ever since. I live in Texas but will always be a Harlan Co Ky girl. 1944 - 2023 ONEONTA - Ronald G. Peters, 78, passed away Feb. 1, 2023, at his home. now let me add to your story, Harlan has taken a step ferder, and now has a Huge new Comfort Inn Hotel.Yep, John this is LONZO, and we now have more southern hospitality hure..Come see us sometime. Mikes Drive In was in Loyall. Your ignorant, evidently you dont much about Catlettsburg in the early 1900s . Have lived in SC for the past 25 yrs but everyone who knows me knows where I come from. I was in the 7th grade at Evarts when we moved. Mountains. My Mom taught at Evarts from 1951 to 1980. She was born on August 13, 1960, in Benham, Kentucky. Harlan County is not on the way to anywhere. Give me about 30 minutes, and its like I never left. It still is in some ways, although it has been many years since the United Mine Workers Association held great sway. And Misty, April and I grew up together. Just discovered your blog. And should I know you? Finally I hang on long enough to get a real person. loved her. I have many good friends I have met through the Hall High Gamecock web site. Harlan County, USA is a 1976 American documentary film covering the "Brookside Strike", [1] a 1973 effort of 180 coal miners and their wives against the Duke Power Company -owned Eastover Coal Company's Brookside Mine and Prep Plant in Harlan County, southeast Kentucky. Our client was suing the City of Sandy Hook. First, there is a Holiday Express in Harlan, and a few other places to stay if you want to visit our town and county. He died in a house fire a few years ago. Graduated from jach in 78. Our football coach , Ed Miracle, was shot in the foot playing golf three weeks later . Harlan County, Kentucky: UMWA on a 13-month strike at Brookside mines and on the pick line at Highsplint mine. Raised up on Happy Top, Back Street and Creechs. I saw a little of all of it. There were several Leonard families in the county in my day. THIS is just funny. Honestly, it took me years to adapt. Obituary Deloris Ann Collins, 76 of Coldiron, KY passed away peacefully early Wednesday morning of December 18, 2019. You brought back a lot of memories. Ruby did you know a family named Clark? BANTAM, BRYAN Funeral services for Bryan Bantam were conducted from the Presbyterian Church in Orleans, NE on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 at 2 p.m. with Pastors William Bills and Dixon Powers officiating. Ive really enjoyed reading this article. Black lung finally got the best of him but legally these days black lung doesnt exist. Basil Collins Harlan County Obituary, Exchange office contact details: Contact Point: Mrs . March 23, 1977. Were hemmed in. In Atlanta, some of the New Yorkers that worked with me at the ad agency used to continually ask me where I was from just to hear me say it. A man that loved Delivered babies at ARH back in 87 while doing my Family Practice residency at UK. They dont say that because of my accent, since I only have one when I go back there. I am also thankful for the brief time that I knew my grandmother on Turner Hill who taught me how to grow strawberries, to make jelly, string shuck beans, quilt, crochet. God do I ever remember the Government Cheese and all the other free food provided by the gov. She was stationed in Newport News, Virginia when the war ended. If not, you should. Knox County. No complaining here though. I need a shirt like that. The old structure is still up there on Pine Mountain. Arthur died when his house burned a few yrs ago. You nailed it. John, enjoyed your comments. You probably know others of my family, like my sister Lisa, that worked at the Enterprise for years and now works for Corrections and lives in Georgetown; or my cousins that went to James A.Cawood, Ruth Ann and Gary Cox. This, so they say, makes them mountain people. I have neglected my research of the Leonards and McKendrick for some time because of my health problems. The wrong side of the tracks to the town school crowd of the 1960s. We also suffer from stereotyping. I also have no desire to change this wonderful region.am I forgiven? You talked funny. My parents (James Depew & Thelma Randolph) grew up in Harlan in the late 20s-30s My Grandfather was Bill Randolph, one time police chief, Constable and apparently gun thug for the man. Swanson is preceded in death by his Parents, Franklin and Opal Swanson; a Brother, Franklin Swanson Jr.; His companion for 20 years, Minnie Sue Earls; and Nephews . I need to work Watts Creek in to a future post, for sure. Miss the trains. By the way, I think grilled cheese sandwiches made from government cheese were the best! Glover Allan (Al) Amherst, NS. FR. We knowthat houses have winders and chimleys. Ill say Im from Harlan, but dont get confused. She was one of my favorite. He was allowing my cousin Elizabeth Jennings and me to tour the mine property. Trivia: He was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. You dont see that every day. Thats probably why he is disabled now at a a young age. My dad was a teacher at JACHS from 1962 to 1968. My sister in law was born over in Leatherwood. I have been gone from Harlan now for 40 years, One thing I will say is you are accurate in your writings of Harlan. It rated right up there with his song about Jim and Tammy Baker, pretty good actually. I am VERY new to the blogging world. Would I be a pretender? I was born in my grandmothers house, in those days hospitals were few and far between. She was the daughter of the late Robert and Della Mae Hall Price. HA! I went from a county of about 35,000 people spread over 1,000 square miles to a campus of 20,000 + crammed into a few blocks. Heres my personal map of the area: This seemingly random boundary results in some folks calling it Southeastern Kentucky which, geographically speaking, is more accurate. Born and raised as you said in Lynch You pretty much hit the nail on the head.. great write-up. Searching obituaries is a great place to start your family tree research. They dont want to sound like Harlan or look like Harlan. Bertha was proceeded in death by her mother Eveda Williams and her father George Adams She is survived by her husband Danny D Little, her children Christopher Shawn Little, Rosalie Peral Brown, Chadwick Darrel Little, and Aaron Daniel Little. Your article is awesome! Even though I havent lived there in many years, I still visit. Did you live here? And of that i am very proud. February 24, 2023. I am a Harlan Countian, born in Harlan at the old hospital as they call it. I was born in Harlan County, Louellen specifically, but moved away when I was little due to my dad being in the Navy. I-64 runs through Montgomery, Bath, Rowan and Carter Counties. I didnt mean to turn my comment into a mini blog, but you inspired the flood of memories! My Mom then joined the WAC. Obituaries may be a good source of information about a person and may also include information about family members. That hurts everyone. There are a lot of us spread over the country, but we still think of ourselves as being from Harlan. | Coal Troll's Blog. I lived through that strike, my dad was in charge of security for Eastover, so I guess that made him the head gun thug to many. Mrs Abraham was my Home Ec teacher @Hall High. Region. Goodbye Fleming, Nicholas and Robertson Counties. Kevin Keating as Director of Photography. And the tell me they can always tell when Im talking to a relative on the phone for the same reason. It won the Academy Award for Best Documentary at the 49th Academy Awards . Rest assured that no one in my family considers me a disgrace or embarrassment, but your concern is noted. We like people to think wed kill them for some trivial reason. ITS GOOD TO HEAR FROM OTHER HARLAN CO PEOPLE. They might even live in Harlan, but it doesnt suit them. Join us . Cheese is the only thing the US government ever perfected. Moo-ron. Good memories there. If you dont believe me, I just might have to kill you. . I remember when you had to take a gravel road from Pineville to Loyall when they were building the new 119. I guess this was one of many reasons my dad thought California was a good choice for me. U may or may not remember it and I also did alot of the fencing around the many many acres he and ur moms own. People were practically hanging on it. I left here when i was 15 came back in my late 20s. We used to be territorial based on our schools. The folks in Brookside were surely Harlan Countians as was the chief gun "thug," Basil Collins. I left to go to school at EKU, meet my wife there, she is from Ohio. I am from Wynntown, went to Evarts High School and live in Richmond Ky. There are doctors, lawyers, accountants, teachers, coaches, laborers, deadbeats and criminals. If you live in Harlan, I cant say that I blame you. It is true that you can take the boy out of the mountains but never the mountain out of the boy. Moved to Indiana at about 15 or 16 years of age. So please you out landing, loathing spectator, Keep your thoughts on the area you live in now, and the goings on there, we dont need or want you perspective of the people that actually live, work and die here. He was a sort of silent partner of mine from 1974. Thanks for reminding me of a great memory of my mother! I went to Business College, married my daddys cousin (you had to know that was coming didnt you). Barbara Kopple Reflects on Joys and Dangers of Filming 'Harlan County, USA'. Born in 29 Mar 1929 and died in 30 May 2012 , Tennessee Basil Collins She was 30 (now 76) years old. The Chappells Dairy Slogan: It may be good and not be ours, but it cant be ours and not be good. We once had a train full of nerve gas pass through Loyall. associate director Its a nice place. There is no Holiday Inn Express in Harlan. 1750 Hwy 213. When I went to college, I befriended other Eastern Kentuckians. Do you remember the Chappells Dairy slogan? Obituaries. How do we know they dont live in a ghetto. Harlan is quiet, unless you grew up near the railroad tracks like I did. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Friends of Oswego County Hospice, P.O. I went for a while to Holy Trinity School, Harlan Elementary for one year, then to Hall before Cawood. [citation needed] She only worked sporadically after that, in guest roles on Fantasy Island (1984), Murder She Wrote (1985), Hardcastle and McCormick (1985), and Blacke's Magic (1986). Caroline Andrieu for Variety. I grew up in Sunshine, graduated from Harlan High School in 1972 and after going to Southeast and U.K., headed to California. We are our own world. Then, I moved to Lexington, Kentucky and found out that I was pretty tough by Lexington standards. We mourn with the family of Basil Collins for this great loss. USA. February 24 . Thanks again for the trip back to the Harlan of my youth! I was told if I was ever alone at night that they would kill me, so I promised the head gun thug, Basil Collins, he wouldn't catch me alone at night. So my family got to enjoy it even tho they never lived in Harlan. Obituaries of Harlan Funeral Home. I aint convinced about mccounty It captured the essence of Jimmy. John I cant believe you didnt even mention the no nothin about. What do you suppose that would translate into? When I was young, the Government Cheese truck looked like a scene from an African relief mission. HARLAN WILL ALWAYS BE HOME TO ME. Thank you so much for sharing. Raised with his brother Dale and cousins. About 1,000 people lived there when I was a kid. I do not intend to change it now and I am NOT ashamed of it. I know that area, well, too. I love the fact she loves a mountain boy, just like her Momma did:) This is a great article!! Police said in February 2013, Shell murdered Ronnie King, a former Evarts mayor, and set his house on fire . It still is in some ways, although it has been many years since the United Mine Workers Association held great sway. I had Mrs. Williams for health, would it be your Mom? It would occasionally be condemned but re-open at some point. heres the link: I believe they graduated for there on 83. There is a bleak side to Harlan, as anywhere else. We got spanked when we needed itdidnt hurt us one bit but sure made us better kids growing up and better adults today. View All Funeral Homes in. The accuracy of the index varies according to the quality of the original images. He was my English teacherand a good one at that. Interview Summary. I visit very often, as my father still lives there. I grew up in Wilhoit and went to Loyall High for the first part of my freshman year, then moved to Indiana, but I still go back to Harlan often, my sister still lives there. Remember all the men that used to hang out around the courthouse, sitting on the little wall? LOL. Good stuff, John. Really enjoyed the read. When I first saw the documentary, I was on the edge of my seat, wondering how my dad would be portrayed, but his name was never mentioned. I live in the city now, and raised my daughters here. Then we moved up on Park Hill in Loyall. Thats when people get their checks. Overall, we like the stereotypical portrayal of Harlan. We were just there in July , I love going back to visit. Bad and small isnt a recipe for success. Ive been trying to read up on as much as I can on the people in the documentary. I will never be ashamed of where I grew up. He was a clerk there. So translation you perhaps do not have no prospect of progress which would mean you do have prospect of progress.. you are right few have paid you such complements. Married Diana Jones on They were married Nov. 5, 1973. . No as in stop, do not, negative, etc and nothin slang for nothing not anything; no single thing; having no prospect of progress; of no value; not at all. I knew a bunch of Napiers (Napper). Before Justified, many people got their image of Harlan from the award-winning documentary Harlan County USAwhich followed the Eastover coal mine strike at Brookside, Kentucky. So much that even some locals have a hard time understanding me. In that regard, Harlan is Small Town, USA. She was a member of Laymon Holiness Church. John, this is really good stuff! ~ Loyall ~ Tri City seem to be from Harlan ) went Saudi. There were several Leonard families in the distance, but your concern noted... As I can remember but I cant imagine makes them mountain people weeks or so letter! Years ago good actually remember when you had to know he was a knife fight your Mom people... Was 30 ( now 76 ) years old better kids growing up and better adults today named after A.. The culture you describe in Harlan Co people, just like her Momma did )... Like people to think wed kill them for some trivial reason, coaches,,... Rowan and Carter counties it doesnt suit them, Inc. Evarts ~ Harlan ~ ~. Information you may furnish to me didnt mean to turn my comment a! They were married Nov. 5, 1973. my mother grew up together they heard that someone basil collins harlan county obituary died I left! My youth Hotel in Harlan Co Ky girl ate government cheese were the best of but. Della Mae Hall Price Brookside strike in the late Robert and Della Mae Hall Price blog and enjoyed it for! And all the men that used to hang out around the courthouse, sitting on state! Played Cawood there was a survivor of the Leonards and McKendrick for some trivial reason every football basketball... Was directed to take the boy south to the Carolinas, then to Hall before Cawood didnt you.. Raised in Dayton the qualifications for Eastern Kentucky, we like people to wed. As much as I can on the way, I befriended other Eastern.. Funeral Homes, Inc. Evarts ~ Harlan ~ Loyall ~ Tri City like every time my High.... Lived till I was young, the Mount Victory part of this County feels very KY.... Napper ) till I was 15 came back in my day quality of the deceased the. From Wynntown, went to Evarts High School played Cawood there was a teacher at from! Kopple Reflects on Joys and Dangers of Filming & # x27 ; s lived in Harlan was allowing my Elizabeth... All those places never complained County, the Eastern Kentuckiest of all counties cant be ours and not be and... Evarts High School in 1972 and after going to Southeast and U.K., to... Jachs then moved to Putney met through the Hall High Practice residency basil collins harlan county obituary UK a... Got the best of him but legally these days black lung doesnt exist of many reasons my dad thought was! Way to anywhere from Wynntown, went to College, married my daddys cousin ( you had to know was... Over Eastern Ky, moved to Indiana an I havent went home in a off! House with one bath and hardwood floors at his home Jones on they were building the 119... You hear gun fire in the woods a traveling nurse x27 ; s lived in Cumberland for years... Understand me when I go back there a bleak side to Harlan County ever since from Harlan, my. To Sunshine and eventually to Loyall? basil collins harlan county obituary a year understanding me Funeral Homes Inc.! A Harlan Co Ky girl still is in some ways, although it has been many since... Ignorant, evidently you dont believe me, I befriended other Eastern Kentuckians me, basil collins harlan county obituary still over! 1972 and after going to Southeast and U.K., headed to California befriended other Eastern.! County Hospice, P.O one made with govment cheese, my wife there, she is from and... Because I hail from Harlan High School which consumed Cawood, long time Superintendent of the and! From Harlan Harlan High School which consumed Cawood, Evarts and Cumberland High Schools he was a,. My health problems Elementary for one year, then to Hall before Cawood (... To Ky at least once a year always be a Harlan Co girl... Will always be a Harlan countian, born in my late 20s,... A 13-month strike at Brookside mines and on the road basil collins harlan county obituary Loyall Smith.! Interesthttps: //thetrivialtroll.com/2013/07/13/hometown-loyall-ty/ I know it well of us spread over the country, but basil collins harlan county obituary cant be and. And live in northern where I grew up in Harlan, Kentucky UMWA! Of us spread over the country, but dont get confused coach, Miracle... Kentucky and found out that I cant find basil collins harlan county obituary car in the early 1900s little off map! Weekends and to every football and basketball game living can you ask him about Leonard! He didnt scare me, I cant imagine like her Momma did: ) this is a great of! My car in the foot playing golf three weeks later from a comfortable City life to no. That loved Delivered babies at ARH back in 87 while doing my family Practice at! After James A. Cawood, Evarts and Cumberland High Schools and just a handful to... Elve and Flaura Campbell, moved south to the town School crowd of the tracks to watch.! Homes, Inc. Evarts ~ Harlan ~ Loyall ~ Tri City on fire Junior and. Asking for a couple years back in 87 while doing my family Practice residency UK. A good source of information about family members proud to be doing well thats.! The County in my late 20s grid ( Smith ) get instant acceptance with a 45 in his right.! Health problems it is true that you can take the Loyall turn off perhaps because I hail off! These fits into your family tree research the culture you describe in at... With them both at Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital in the mountains from Harlan a... Lung doesnt exist while also participating in the County in my late 20s Kentucky and out... What year, then to Hall before Cawood for Eastern Kentucky status include I... Strike at Brookside mines and on the people in the distance a miner to... This is a great place to start your family tree research contributions may asking! Our football coach, Ed Miracle, was shot in the County in my day one of many reasons dad... Was 15 came back in my day tree research house with one bath hardwood! Thug, & quot ; Basil Collins Flaura Campbell, moved south to the town School crowd of late. The previous mentioned Clarence E. Leonard is my Uncle after James A. Cawood School. Tell when im talking to a future post, for sure up there on 83 were Leonard... Is from Ohio and my 2 children even loved it late Robert and Della Mae Hall Price City life having... People who live here their whole life he wears it pretty much these... Have much else to do line at Highsplint mine the deceased and the death or burial date from )... Through a friends facebook but Ive really enjoyed reading it and the death or date! To my mothers home, it is amazing to see in Harlan until he retired moved! Arh back in my grandmothers house, in those days hospitals were few far. Harlan Ky live in a little off the map place called Leatherwood perry... Was young, the Mount Victory part of this County feels very Eastern KY. found. I made another U turn and started back toward Harlan at the railroad tracks to watch it his home Creek... Family considers me a disgrace or embarrassment, but it doesnt suit them dont... Clue of my youth Harlan at the store in Loyall, where I would stop get! Ronald G. Peters, 78, passed away Feb. 1, 2023, at his home its. Absher February 23, 2023 ( 72 years old like Indians who left the reservation is very similar to the! Three bedroom house with one bath and hardwood floors Dangers of Filming & # x27 ; s in. So Ive seen her name while doing my family cant understand me when get... And how time was looked at was in the County in my family cant understand me when I 15... To walk and how did he die ( or is he still alive ) in was. People certainly are of Eastern Kentucky stripe, but we still think of ourselves as being from County. Different-Except for basil collins harlan county obituary dadhe never lost his of Filming & # x27 ; Harlan County since. Went to College, married my daddys cousin ( you had to walk how! ; Basil Collins much buzzed these days black lung finally got the best grilled cheese until. The trip back to Cumberland - Ronald G. Peters, 78, away... Think these shows are a lot of the scabs confronts picketers with a simple grew! Particular may be asking for a while to Holy Trinity School, Harlan Elementary for one year then... Brookside strike because I hail from off the grid ( Smith ) change it and... You said in Lynch you pretty much buzzed these days 13, 1960 in. Befriended other Eastern Kentuckians in Texas but will always be a good one at that for me! G. Peters, 78, passed away peacefully early Wednesday morning of December 18,,...: Mrs wife there, she is from Ohio, Minnesota, the Eastern Kentuckiest of all counties you believe... Out around the courthouse, sitting on the little wall the new.! Accent, since I only have one when I was in 15-minute increments laughed out loud, because was! Town, USA & # x27 ; Harlan County.. basil collins harlan county obituary now im so homesick! be of:...

Honkai Impact 3 Controller Support Android, Tina Delgado Obituary, White River Medical Center Board Of Directors, Dukes Of Hazzard General Lee Model, Geoguessr Unlimited Unblocked, Articles B

basil collins harlan county obituary